County Antrim man accused of choking female causing her a 'loss of consciousness' is refused bail

County Antrim man accused of choking female causing her a 'loss of consciousness' is refused bail

A MAN with an address in Antrim town who is accused of choking a female causing her a "loss of consciousness" has had a bail application refused.

Jordan Hanna (33), of Tower Way, is alleged to have assaulted a female occasioning her actual bodily harm and causing criminal damage to her glasses on September 19 last year.

Antrim Magistrates Court, sitting in Ballymena, heard the defendant has been on remand in custody for a number of months.

District Judge Nigel Broderick refused bail and said the alleged case was "a serious matter involving the choking of a female and loss of consciousness".

The judge said a previous court heard Hanna allegedly grabbed the woman by the throat, pushed her against a wall and choked her and "when she regained consciousness her face was covered in blood and she had wounds to her face and her glasses were smashed".

The court heard when interviewed the defendant "made the case of self-defence" and accepted he had pushed her but "denies the choking incident".

The accused has 29 previous convictions.

The case has been adjourned to February 24 to fix a date for a Preliminary Enquiry to potentially send the case to the Crown Court.