Court in Ballymena hears man who sexually assaulted two women 'no longer wishes to remain in Northern Ireland'

Court in Ballymena hears man who sexually assaulted two women 'no longer wishes to remain in Northern Ireland'

A MAN with a Ballymena address - who previously pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting two women who, according to a defence lawyer, "had their backsides felt" whilst in shops - "no longer wishes to remain in Northern Ireland".

Romeo Varga (25), with an address previously listed as Albert Place and now given as Waveney Road, had previously been given an eight months jail sentence for the sexual assaults which were then replaced with a two and a half months sentence, suspended for a year, upon appeal.

Varga committed the offences on March 4, 2020, and March 17, 2020.

The charges were that he 'intentionally touched' the women, 'the circumstances being that the touching was sexual'.

He had also been put on the Sex Offenders' Register for seven years.

The defendant is currently charged with assaulting a female occasioning her actual bodily harm and causing criminal damage to a cup, glass and money box in relation to January 6 this year.

Ballymena Magistrates' Court heard the defendant is on remand in custody in relation to the January 6 allegations.

His defence barrister said bail had been granted "but could not be perfected because there is no suitable address".

He said a "counter allegation" had been made by Varga and there had been "some delay".

The defence lawyer said the defendant had been in custody "for some time" and he asked for the case to be progressed quickly.

Referring to the previous incidents, the barrister said: "He had been prosecuted in relation to two incidents of sexual touching in which two ladies had been approached by him in stores in the Antrim area and had their backsides felt".

The lawyer added: "The intention of Mr Varga is as soon as this case is concluded that he is going to leave the jurisdiction. He no longer wishes to remain in Northern Ireland".

The January 6 case has been adjourned to May 5.